Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Crazy Quilt




Just when you thought I exhausted my artistic adventures I throw you a curve ball. I have always wanted a handmade quilt. BUT there is no one (and I do mean no one) in the family that quilts. Not being one of those people that enjoy or even tolerate piecing little tiny squares together and making sure everything is square, a traditional quilt was out. Instead I went with my version of a crazy quilt. A mixed up wild collection of fabric that may be from a favorite article of clothing, or just a patterns you like. This quilt is a collection of cottons, flannel, denim, little bit of fleece, and even the cuffs of a wedding
dress. This photo shows a tri-colored Aussie head and if you look closely you
can see a humpback whale in the stars below.



After the top is large enough for a double bed, a piece of muslin will be place under it and pinned in place. Each edge will then be hand stitched with different embroidery stitches. Other additions will include ribbons, buttons, special hand embroidery, there will also be a spider and web added on one
of the pieces (meaning spider woman or weaver). This photo has a picture
of a bear fetish. The bear is the medicine animal for interception.


Once all the hand stitching is finished the boarder will be put in place and the top cut square. Needless to say for batting I will be using sheep's wool. I want a really lofty quilt that will last for years to come. This photo is showing "the Sugar" Lisa's rescue Whinnig haimer. At 18 months old she only weighed 35 pounds she is now a healthy 65-70. Without Lisa's love and patience Sugar
wouldn't have lived.

As you can see crazy quilts hold special memories with each patch. In this photo you can see Snoopy and a Arab stallion. Anyone that knows me knows that snoopy is close to my heart. I can assure you that his little pal Woodstock is in the quilt too. The stallion was pretty (honestly I couldn't find a gypsy drum horse). Every little girl dreams of her own horse and some of us very lucky ones get them. I haven't decided what material I will use for the backing of the quilt, or if I will use traditional "ties" for the quilt or have a company run a pattern over top to hold the batting in place. More to come soon.

No comments: